Instructors: Faculty: Dr. Sarah Ralston, 732-932-9404, Ralston@aesop.rutgers.edu
Dr. Carey Williams 732-932-5529, firstname.lastname@example.org
Main Supervisor: Joanne Powell: 732-406-9727, email@example.com
Objectives: To familiarize the students with the principles of caring for horses in addition to the handling and training of young horses.
Schedule: We will meet for 1 hour every Thursday at 8:00
AM in the Red Barn or Ryders Lane Barn (See schedule) to discuss various horse
topics, and have you work with the horses.
Expectations: YOU NEED TO COMPLETE 5 HOURS OF BARN WORK PER WEEK: Students will be evaluated on their participation in-group discussions, reliability and diligence when working in the barns. NOTE: The Group meeting IS MANDATORY. If you miss a meeting you will need to put in 2 hours extra in the barn to make it up. Helping with research and on weekends can also count toward barn hours.
Barn/lab hours: Sign in on the check sheet when you get to the barn and sign out when you leave with the time.
1. NEVER WORK WITH THE HORSES IF THERE IS NO ONE ELSE AROUND!
2. If there is a problem with the horses and I am not there, you can try my cell phone but I rarely have it on me. Call my office or home as well as the cell phone listed on the contact sheets. If there is a problem with fencing, etc or a real emergency contact JOANNA POWELL, ANTHONY SACCHETTI or, if they cannot be reached, CLINT BURGHER. All contact info is on the contact sheets!
3. If someone is injured in the barn DO NOT TAKE THEM TO THE HOSPITAL YOURSELF. Call 6911 for an ambulance. Try to stay calm and if they are in a stall with a horse remove either the person or the horse, which ever seems to be the safest! If you are injured but an ambulance is not necessary (ie: stepped on foot) YOU MUST GET IT SEEN FIRST AT HURTADO (Rutgers) and LET US KNOW ABOUT IT! Do not go to your home physician first-it will take forever to get the paperwork sorted out!
4. DO NOT BRING FRIENDS/FAMILY TO THE BARN WITHOUT DR. RALSTON’S EXPRESS PERMISSION AND DO NOT LET THEM GO OUT IN THE PADDOCKS OR INTO THE STALLS IF SHE IS NOT THERE.
5. NEVER wear sandals or open toed shoes in the barn.
6. NO CELL PHONES ALLOWED IN THE STALLS when you are working with the horses-Leave them on the table in the red barn, the office at Ryders Lane.
Practicum Lecture Schedule-Spring 2011
Location Date Topic Lecturers*
Red Barn Jan. 21 Intro&Safety SLR/JP/CW
Red Barn Jan 27 Meet the Standardbreds: JP/CW
Grooming/ID/Markings, ConformationNOTE: Session joint with NESAA students STARTS AT 7:00AM!
Ryders Lane Feb 3 Meet the Mustangs: SLR/JP
Body Condition Score & Conformation
Ryders Lane Feb 10 Emergencies SLR/JP
Ryders Lane Feb 17 Deworming, health care SLR/ JP
Ryders Lane Feb 24 Breeds and Behavior JP/SLR
March 3 Bandaging CW/JP
Red Barn March 10 Trailering CW/JP
Red Barn March 24 Dentistry SLR/JP/Mike Mullin
Ryders Lane March 31 Facilities CW/JP
Red Barn April 7 Nutrition CW/SLR
Vaccinations/Coggins tests SLR/Vets
Meet at barn to carpool
Red Barn April 28 tba! SLR